Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Perception is Everything

3 1/2 weeks in Venezuela... 1 full week of school... All I know is this: perception is everything. How we perceive things dictates how we respond... the opinions we make.

I don't think I really expected to 'fit in' here, but I suppose I assumed I wouldn't entirely stand out either - at least I thought that if I could keep my mouth shut enough, I wouldn't stick out.

Not the case.

"So... what is your hair color exactly?"...student
"What is your skin color... you're really... white."...student
"Where did you go running? You look like you went to the beach..."...coworker

"Good morning. You speak English. I love you."...gentleman
"Hey you. Hey...You. I speak English. I love you."...many gentlemen

hissing.... clicking sounds... whistling... pursing of lips - Oh, such flattery. I didn't know that's how you felt...

Running is a nuisance, unless it is early Sunday morning while the city is still sleeping... women do not wear shorts here, and I'm sorry - I'm running, and it's hot out.

To be honest, these things... though annoying, don't really bother me. It is an interesting experience to simply be stared at as I walk on the street... it's a beautifully humbling experience to be the foreign alien.

And it must be said - it sucks to be made out to be a fool. This is a common experience for anyone who tries to live in a different country. My first true experience of this here in Venezuela was this week...

I went to the grocery store, minding my own business and buying groceries. In the checkout lane, the bagger started talking to me about the top of my pineapple being broken. Did I need to get a new pineapple? Was there some sort of problem? He said he would take care of the pineapple, so I said 'okay'. The clerk asked me if I understood, so I said, "no, but it's okay." The bagger started doing hand motions of the pineapple top breaking off - I had checked earlier if it was ripe, was he asking about my breaking off the palms? I don't understand... By now 3 baggers are there asking if anyone speaks English and laughing that I don't understand about the top being broken off despite their hand gestures. I get it... the top of the pineapple, broken... what do you want me to do? I'll deal with a broken pineapple - whatever. One of the guys says while laughing, "she doesn't understand anyone..." I looked at him embarrassingly red-faced and said, "I understand what you are saying."  ...but I still didn't know what he was telling me, asking me. I left frustrated, embarrassed... swearing I would never go back there - upset that someone could treat someone so stupidly.... and then I wondered... Hmm... whom have I done that to?...

Perception is everything, and I'm so thankful to gain a new perspective.

...after reviewing the situation with a roommate - apparently, you can pay extra money to have the top of your pineapple chopped off. Whatever.

I have been back. I was recognized. Two of the gentlemen from that day mutually started handling my groceries. This time the new clerk picked on them, saying that two baggers were not necessary for five items.

Eh, life is grand.




No comments:

Post a Comment