Friday, March 8, 2013

News is news...

We've been mostly contained to the house.

Caracas has been quiet - this is so abnormal.... a friend once described Caracas as a city of sensory overload... always smells...always sights...always sounds... always.

My mother told me how she couldn't sleep very well when she came because there were always sounds that she was not used to. I suppose I have just become so accustomed to it that I don't really notice anything as much. I know when to put on my head phones... I know when to plug my nose and just breathe through my mouth... I know what wet spots to avoid on the street... I know the cars, I know the people of my neighborhood, I know the parts of this city that I frequent.

Today was silent.
Not a sound.
Not a bang.
No music.
No chatter
Eery.

That is... until 7:30ish... it began with one pot, followed by a few other pans... and then a full pot and pan ensemble ensued. Fires that lacked the 'works' (as far as I could see) were the bangs of some sort of firecracker device. Apparently, it's a normal custom to bang pots and pans when there is a political happening that you disagree with.

We live in a neighborhood that is mainly supportive of the opposition. Maduro, the vice president, was getting ready to be sworn in as interim president. It's a very controversial issue here.... We sat around a tv and listened.

For now, everything is still pretty tranquil... We'll see what the next few weeks and election shall bring.

In news... 
COFFEE NEWS!!!! 
No puede ser....



No comments:

Post a Comment